The Joyzine ’20 YEARS OF JOY’ birthday weekender at The Old Library, New Cross, London is just over a week away (Sat. 19th / Sun. 20th August) and we are talking to some of the bands who we have been lucky enough to get on the bill.
Art-rockers Dead Patrons are playing on Saturday 19th and they answered 10 questions from Joyzine editor Paul Maps about the band, their early memories of Joyzine and more:
1) Who’s in the band and what do they play?
Paul Killengray – vox
Ross Davies- guitars
Rob Good – bass
Charlie Kincaid – drums
2) How would you describe your sound to someone who’s not heard you before?
3) Who are some of your biggest influences and how have they affected your approach to making music?
My Bloody Valentine, My Disco, Oxbow, Bowie, Shellac, Sonic Youth
4) Who are your favourite current artists and what do you like about them?
The Armed, Oxbow, JOHN, Clipping
5) What do you like most about playing live?
it’s an exorcism
6) What makes the perfect gig?
7) Tell us an interesting fact/anecdote about your band.
our band name is a lo-key reference to a delicious and discontinued shot-based beverage
8) When did you first come across Joyzine & what connection do you have to the site?
one of my previous bands played for you (Rat the Magnificent or Hot Sauce Pony, I forget who came first) and we loved what you do!
9) The shows are raising money for HOPE not hate, why is this an important cause for you to support?
there is no place for racism in modern society, and especially not in our beloved music scenes.
10) What were you doing 20 years ago?
You can listen to Dead Patrons current release ‘I’ on Bandcamp and enjoy the gritty tumble of the track ‘Lover’ below:
Tickets for 19th and 20th are priced at £12 for a single day or £20 for the full weekend and available from We Got Tickets here, with the option of adding a copy of the first in our compilation series for a mere £5